Monday 12 May 2008

Diary 13.5.1883

Sunday May 13


We were up in good time a fine morning, we have not forgotten that this is Whit Sunday, we have been talking about it and saying what new things there will be turning out today, if we had been at home I should have Emmeline with hers on, (Whit Sunday traditions were popular in the industrial towns of northern England, the community parades around the town with local families all in their best new clothes, with the girls dressed in white, ending with sports and competitions, Morris dancing displays, music, eating and drinking; a major event on the social calendar) she gets a little trick she can say anything, she is spoiled here with the first mate and the passengers. As soon as she sees the mate put his hand into his pocket, she goes to him and kisses him for sweets.

I have been poorly again today, I went up on deck before breakfast and was coming down the steps when my feet slipped from under me and I went to the bottom. I was very sick for a long time it gave me such a shake, I hurt my back and my arm. There was a service on the poop today. John Edwin is in the choir. I think there is nothing else of note today, distance 110 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment