Here's the continuation of the list of High Country Huts I visited.
Kellys Hut – Holmes Plains, was built by Jim Kelly in 1934 and is located on Kelly’s Lane (I had to walk Kelly's Lane as the road was still seasonally closed), at the northern end of Holmes Plains in the snow gums at the edge of the plain.
James Vincent Kelly owned this hut. It was built for him in 1934 with materials brought in by pack horse. J Norton had previously held the lease but Jim Kelly took it up as soldier settlement after the first World War in 1920.
|Kelly's & Holmes Plains|
The hut has been modified many times over the years. Originally a drop slab building with a gabled roof and half a skillion shed. Vertical slabs and an iron roof were later used, plus an extension to the shed. The slabs and stone chimney were reclad in iron.
|Guys in morning light|
Guys Hut is located on Bryce’s Plain near Bryces Gorge. Alex Guy acquired Wonnangatta Station and the Snowy Plains freehold in 1934. The hut was built in March 1940 to replace the nearby Bryce’s Hut, now gone, for mustering. Alex died in 1949 and was succeeded by his sons, Jack and Arthur, and the lease transferred to the Gilder Family in 1970, thereafter bought by the Victorian Government.
The hut was originally built three logs high, and later extended to seven logs high. The timber frames are adzed snow gum found locally and form a gabled roof, covered with corrugated iron. The floor is paved with basalt blocks, and the chimney is dry stone construction.
|Guys illuminated by evening light|
Howitt Plains Hut Also known as Howitt Hut is located on the edge of the Howitt Plains in the Alpine National Park and is surrounded by snow gums and overlooks grassy plains and the head waters of the Caledonia River.
William Bryce held the leasehold for Wonnagatta Station and the Howitt and Snowy Plains from 1870 to 1914. He built the hut on the lease in 1899 and it was located very near to where the body of John Bamford was found after the Wonnangatta murders in 1918 [see below].
|Howitt Plains Hut|
The hut was first built with drop slab walls. It appears the hut was completely rebuilt in the 1920's to 30's. Then the gabled design roof and walls were re-clad with corrugated iron over the shingles in 1938. It is also the only hut I found with graffiti plastered over the exterior.
|Easily recognisable - Wallace Hut|
Wallaces Hut called Seldom Seen Inn and Seldom Seen Hut.This is the oldest complete structure in the Alpine National Park, built in 1889 by the Wallace bothers, Arthur, William and Stewart from snow gum slabs and woollybutt shingles. It measures 4.5m by 3.7m and consists of a pole frame and slabs for the floor and a pole framed chimney. Since 1931 many changes have occurred including new windows. The SEC added the shed and corrugated iron about 1946. The National Trust classified the hut in 1967.
|Part of the Rover Scout Chalet|
Located on the Bogong High Plains beside the Langford West Aqueduct and the Cope Hut track is the rambling Rover Scout Chalet or Rover Scout Lodge. Built by the Fitzgerald family in 1940, it has been extended many times since. It has been constructed with modern materials including concrete blocks. The hut has a refuge for the public.
|Cope Hut amidst the snow gums|
|The Langford SEC hut in the early morning|
|Edmonsons Hut beneath a threatening sky|
The hut is a gabled iron clad building and is lined with masonite. The mezzanine loft floor is particle board and the ground floor is T&G hardwood. There are corrugated fibregalls in the roof for light wells.
|Johnston's Hut, there's a snow depth gauge beside the chimney|
|Kellys Hut on Kelly Track|
The first hut on the site was built in 1901. Patrick J Kelly built the second hut on this site in 1901, after grazing began on the lease in the 1890s. This hut had vertical slab walls, a paling roof and gabled structure, but was burnt down in 1956. It was replaced with an SEC hut, removed from the Rocky Valley site in 1958. A typical pre-fab SEC hut in three sections, with considerable modifications, the walls are shiplapped weatherboards over a hardwood frame. The roof is corrugated iron and the floor of T&G hardwood. The iron chimney has been restored. The Kelly family owned the lease until taken over by the National Park in 1982.
|Fitzgeralds Hut through the rain|
Fitzgeralds Hut located at Kellys Track, Marms Point, the Bogong High Plains. George Silas Fitzgerald built the hut in 1903. Originally it was shingled and he covered it with corrugated iron in 1928. The hut was destroyed by fire in 1991, after the chimney caught alight on a school camping trip. The hut was rebuilt in 1993, 6m to the south of the old, and is of drop slab construction, made from recycled timbers and salvaged railway sleepers. The floor is hardwood butt jointed, and the roof is gabled iron.
Most of the hut information and histories from the great site by the Kosciusko Huts Association, which shows there are still heaps of huts to visit!
The Wonnagatta Murders - In December 1917 James Barclay (Manager of Wonnagatta Station – one of the most isolated
cattle stations in Victoria) hired John Bamford as a cook/odd job man (a wiry man with a violent temper, suspected of strangling his wife). Bamford & Barclay were last seen together at Talbotville on 21st December 1917. In February 1918, Barclay’s friend Harry Smith organised a search where they found Barclay’s decomposing body south-west of the homestead near Conglomerate Creek. He had been shot in the back. Bamford was missing and suspected, until November 1918, when Bamford’s body was found hidden under a pile of charred logs 400m north of the Howitt Plains Hut (16km east of the homestead). He too had been shot. The murderer was never found. The homestead burned down in 1957 and a hut was built on the site from the remaining salvaged materials.