Sunday 18 January 2009

#37 Music stations

With Online radio stations you can influence the programing by telling it what music you like. The two featured are Pandora and LastFM. With both you can input your favorite music and listen to something like it - but different. Depending on what you like you could find a lot of new tunes and artists or possibly none. Both also incorporate a social aspect so you could meet new friends who share your musical tastes.
Due to licensing constraints, Pandora no longer allows access for listeners located outside of the U.S., so I joined up with LastFM.
It appears that it builds a relationship by gathering together the tagging elements that listeners give tracks and artists. It can play most songs you request, provided they can get the rights to it, so it can be a more unusual recording – live versions rather than the single or album track.
From starting with Stevie Wright's epic "Evie" (they didn't have all 3 parts) I came across Sherbet doing the Police’s “Roxanne” from 2003! LastFM also has links to YouTube and to iTunes.

I searched for artists and tracks and added them to my library, then created a Widget for my blog, so I can have my own pirate radio station, I even included "A walk in the Black Forest" in my playlist (a Goodies joke - the "Radio Goodies" episode). So check out the sidebar on the blog to play my selections.

1 comment:

  1. Tried using my LastFM widget lately - unsuccessfully, it appears that LastFM is going along the same road as many other sites -> start out free and then move to some form of paid subscription. In this case I'll remove the widget which should speed up the page loading at least!
    Make information free to the masses!!

    ReplyDelete