Sunday 26 July 2015

Online ID


Online Identity, Thing 13
My first response was to do what just about everyone has done online at least once - key in your name and see what comes up.
I did, and my anonymity level soared. The real me didn't feature in the first page of results, even the LinkedIn one was someone else.
I did like that the 'I am Pegasus' film-clip got a guernsey.



Online Identity is a current topic of conservation with regards to the whole cyber safety discussions, so yes, it is important to know how to manage your online identities (professional and personal), and also to be able to advise our clients and communities on how to protect their own privacy online (the Tech Savvy program has a session 'Introduction to Cyber Safety') and working through the eSmart modules will deal with both staff and public safety.
 
It is good that Facebook's settings, including the privacy settings are more transparent now days.

The whole idea of what different organisations know and collect about you was re-enforced the other night as I watched the film version of 1984, so I'll borrow John Pilger's image from 'The war you don't see' to mask my online identity, while I manage privacy versus access.

No comments:

Post a Comment