Monday 25 May 2015

10. Reading socially

Tools to support reading and keeping track of social media, looking at
  1. tools to read social media and RSS
  2. tools and apps to interact with other readers (Goodreads and LibraryThing are popular options)
  3. activities like online book clubs
As I'm still getting over the loss of Google Reader, and yet to find a suitable substitute, I was very interested in this Thing.
I checked out Pulse which aggregates blogs, magazines, social networks and newspapers, but is part of LinkedIn - so no.
I've tried Bloglines (now sadly discontinued), Keeeb and a couple of others, but prompted by the 'Discover' section I'm trialling Feedly which will draws together your RSS feeds, Tumblr blogs and Youtube channels. Building it up, but so far so good.


I followed GoodReads on Twitter - they are the people who filled my timeline with innumerable tweets - now gone.I hadn't followed LibraryThing's Talk, however on checking it out the second thread was "Off Topic: Who wants to talk about their cats (or other pets)?" uurrhh online cat lady, so maybe not.
 And the 'Thinking Point' question: follow blogs etc. in a reader or rely more on Twitter for current information? I'm thinking blogs (not just 'cos this is a blog, but) they have greater scope, and more to perk your interest than a tiny-URL.

No comments:

Post a Comment