Tuesday 31 March 2015

Quick reads

Mobile Thing 9: QR codes.
I posted about QR codes a few weeks ago (Technology gone wild) and how great they were in the airline business, but I hadn't conceived the range of uses that other people have already adopted.
The smart pjs are...well astonishing.

I've come across QR codes in a variety of situations - on books as in my post "An island in time"; with Munzee scavenger hunts (similar to Geocaching but utilising QR code technology); in shops like Macca's to pre-order your coffee, etc.

I had already loaded some barcode & QR code reading apps to my phone, as well as the Bookwire app (from the Books In Print people) that scans ISBNs AND then adds the bib info to a list for ordering later.
I remember reading that QR codes are being used by the British Museum instead of/in addition to the little exhibit cards. While not as revolutionary as the pj idea, I can see a real role in such an application when you are constrained by how much writing you can fit on a card and how small the font can be; adding audio and/or video to the explanation.

I think the take up of QR codes is still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment