Monday 22 December 2014

5. A Thing for Local History


Mobile Thing 5 = Photos + Maps + Apps 
  
 I first tried out HistoryPin when it was in Beta mode a few years ago. It has come on since then with more functionality, but you still don't want to give it too many commands in close succession.

The first task - use the app to take a photo of an old/local building and pin it. I chose the now defunct Nhill Library, and worked through the steps - easy, the effort was the time it spent uploading it from the phone to HistoryPin, ended up clicking on the Stop button and trying via WiFi. It uploaded quickly but only the photo not the information or location, so had to enter that on the pc. 

Playing with the What Was There, loved the image of the Terminus Hotel in Ararat (it is the building at the end of the small street between the YMCA and KFC), fiddling with the fade in street view.

Decided to be a little ambitious and undertake one of the Explore tasks: Create a Tour on HistoryPin. As someone had said earlier, I should do a photo slideshow about Ebenezer, I decided to use it as my theme, if I'd had permission for some of the other historic images it would have been better, so had to settle for ones I'd taken...so here it is - Ebenezer Aboriginal Mission tour just click on the blue 'Take the tour' box.

No comments:

Post a Comment