Saturday 17 August 2013

Boy-O Boyeo

This is the full unauthorised version 'the Director's Cut' of my Boyeo story. The original shorter version was for our iPad videographing classes (and Larissa made me edit it down to the pre-requisite 90 seconds, so the interior pan sequence hit the cutting-room floor. So now here it is in its entirety).

+

It was from my mission to photograph the schools or school sites across the Wimmera region, that I discovered the Boyeo School building. And I knew I had to return to make it the subject of my video, as still photos didn't portray the full atmospheric feel of the place.
The Boyeo School opened in February 1884 in a temporary building on a 2 acre site. In 1885 the Department erected a timber schoolroom with an attached 4-room residence. Finally like most rural schools it succumbed to declining attendance and finally closed in February 1944.
The old abandoned, derelict structure has stood for 127 years on a rise above a timbered swamp, part of a Crown Land red-gum reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment