Thursday 7 January 2010

Wake in fright

I studied Kenneth Cook's "Wake in fright" at school, and had never seen the film. After attempting to see it in the theatre in Melbourne, (but the session was booked out) I ordered the DVD, just released after the original negative was saved from a rubbish skip in the U.S.

John Grant, a teacher at a remote rural school, is looking forward to his Christmas break in Sydney. Staying overnight, before catching the plane to Sydney, in Bundanyabba a rough mining town, Grant decides to a visit a pub with a Two-up game. After nearly buying out his bond, he loses the lot, and with a number of the town's characters he descends into a Lost Weekend. Five days later he leaves town a broken man, with a single bullet in his gun.
It has been called "stunning, brutal and uncompromising, one of the best films ever made in Australia." Macho with menace and mateship its actors and locations set the scene for a stark depiction of remote Australia and Outback life. It was Jack Thompson's first, and Chips Rafferty's last film. Made in 1971 it was the forerunner of the emergence of an Australian film industry, before Peter Weir, & Bruce Beresford, etc.
Getting a pic of the cover I copied the cover from Fishpond.com which like many sales sites had below the Customers who bought this product also purchased: message, and the customer also bought Susan Boyle's "I dreamed a dream" - find it hard to believe!

Still with music, I believe Wedding, Parties, Anything's "By tomorrow" was inspired by the story:
Well you call it generosity
It's not a word I'd use
You say I'm slightly D and D
I'd say I've been abused
You know I can't resist your shout
You know full well I'm broke
So I sit hear and drink your beer
And laugh at all your stupid jokes

Oh Christ, I hate your dirty town
I hate your dirty street
And I despise your rank hotels
And everyone I meet
If you had a brain in your head
You'd be getting out
If I had a cent to my name
I'd hit the toe, I'd skip my shout
I've got to move, I've got to try
It's not a place I want to live
And I'm too young to die...

No comments:

Post a Comment